This game seems to originate on a Korean site some may recognize as the origin of a particular comic which pops up every few months or so on sites like reddit. Unfortunately I don’t speak Korean, therefore working off of this rough translation, I’ve attempted to tease out a clearer version of these rules and directions. It is uncertain if the Otherworld to which the elevator game provides you is the Shadowside referred to by FableForge in his different games and rituals, or if it is something else; regardless regarding what it may or may not be, yet, as always. Play at your own risk.
1 building, at least 10 stories high, with an elevator. All three of these conditions must be met in order for the game to proceed.
1. Enter your chosen building and get into the elevator on the first floor alone. Do not proceed if anyone else is in the elevator with you.
2. Press the button for the fourth floor.
3. When the elevator reaches the fourth floor, do not get out. Instead, remain in the elevator and press the button for the second floor.
4. When you reach the second floor, remain in the elevator and press the button for the sixth floor.
5. When you reach the sixth floor, remain in the elevator and press the button for the second floor.
6. When you reach the second floor, remain in the elevator and press the button for the tenth floor.
7. When you reach the tenth floor, remain in the elevator and press the button for the fifth floor.
8. When you reach the fifth floor, a young woman may enter the elevator. Do not look at her; do not speak to her. She is not what she seems.
9. Press the button for the first floor. If the elevator begins ascending to the tenth floor instead of descending to the first, you may proceed. If the elevator descends to the first floor, exit as soon as the doors open. Do not look back. Do not speak.
10. If you reach the tenth floor, you may either choose to get off the elevator or to stay on it. If you choose to get off, and if the woman entered the elevator on the fifth floor, she will ask you, “Where are you going?” Do NOT answer her. Do NOT look at her.
11. You will know whether you have arrived at the Otherworld by one indication, and one indication only: The only person present in it is you.
The Return Trip:
If you chose to stay on the elevator at the tenth floor:
– Press the button for the first floor. If it doesn’t work, keep pressing it until it finally does.
– When the elevator reaches the first floor, exit as soon as the doors open. Do not look back. Do not speak.
If you choose to exit the elevator at the tenth floor:
– You need to use the identical elevator to return as the one in which you came.
– When you enter the elevator, then press the buttons in the exact same sequence you did in steps 2 through 8 of Venturing Out. You should complete at the fifth floor.
– When you get to the fifth floor, then press on the button to the first floor. The elevator will again start to ascend into the tenth floor. Press any other floor’s button to cancel the ascension. You MUST press the button you use to cancel the ascension BEFORE you reach the tenth floor.
– After you reach the first floor, assess your environment carefully. If anything sounds off–even the smallest detail–do NOT exit the elevator. If you detect something incorrect, repeat step 2 until your environment look as they need to. Once you are confident you have returned to your own world, you can safely exit the elevator.
– Should you hit the Otherworld, the floor onto which you’ll emerge will look nearly identical to the one from your own world, save for two things: All of the lights will be off, and the only thing you’ll have the ability to see in the windows is that a red cross in the distance.
– Some say that electronic devices–mobile phones, telephones, MP3 players, etc.–do not work in the Otherworld; others state they do.
– Getting back to your own world may be more difficult than it seems: You may become disoriented and neglect which elevator in which you arrived; the elevator may appear to get further and further away from you as you walk towards; etc. Be cautious, and keep your wits about you.
– If at any given stage throughout the ritual you faint, pass out, or otherwise get rid of consciousness, you will likely wake up on your own house. But, be sure to carefully analyze your environment upon waking–the “home” to which you’ve been returned might not be the one that you left when you first set out to attempt this ritual.
Concerning the Woman on the Fifth Floor:
Do NOT speak to her.
Do NOT look at her.
If you do, she may decide to keep you for her own playing elevator game