It’s thought that the Midnight Game was once an old pagan ritual used as a punishment for people who dared to disobey the gods. Although this claim is unsubstantiated, the game has still become a favorite activity for thrill seekers. Much like all of Most Dangerous Games, go at your own risk — if you must proceed in any way. It is recommended that you do not, under any conditions, play with this game.
At least 1 principal
1 lighter or book of matches
1 piece of paper
1 writing implement
1 wooden door, closed
1. Begin prior to midnight.
2. Write your full name – first, middle, and last – on the piece of paper with your writing implement. Prick your finger with the pin and squeeze until a drop of blood appears. Dot the blood on the paper and allow it to soak in.
3. Turn off every light in your home.
4. Place the paper with your name and blood on it in front of the closed wooden door. Light the candle using the matches or lighter and place it on top of the paper. If you are using a taper, make sure it is placed in a candle holder .
5. Knock on the door 22 times. The final knock must occur precisely when the clock chimes 12am. Open the door; then blow out the candle and close the door.
6. Relight your candle immediately.
The Main Event:
– Keeping your candle in hand and your salt and matches or lighter close by, begin to move about your home.
– Should your candle go out, you must relight it within the next ten seconds. If you are successful, continuing moving about your home. Do not stop moving until 3:33am.
– If you are unsuccessful in relighting the candle, immediately surround yourself with a circle of salt. Remain inside the circle until 3:33am.
At 3:33am, it is safe to stop moving or to step outside your circle of salt. You may also turn on the lights. The game is over.
The Midnight Game may be performed with more than 1 participant. In this example, all players are principals; as such, every player must conduct the Invitation individually.
The Invitation welcomes an entity known as the Midnight Man inside your home. The objective of the game is to avoid fulfilling the Midnight Man in the dark. Continually moving around your home will make it more difficult for him to find you; should you quit moving at any point, he’ll grab you. Accounts differ as to what befalls players captured by the Midnight Man. Some claim he will induce a hallucination of the worst panic until the end of the match; others claim he’ll eliminate your organs one by one. Both outcomes are to be avoided at all cost.
Indications that the Midnight Man is near include, but are not limited to, the following:
– Sudden drops in temperature.
– The sound of a soft whisper with no discernible source.
– The appearance of a humanoid figure within the darkness.
– The candle going out.
In the event you notice any of the first 3 occurrences, then leave the region immediately. In the event you undergo the fourth occurrence, after the previously given directions, re: relighting the candle over another ten seconds, will keep the Midnight Man briefly at bay. In case you fail to perform this task properly, the group of salt is going to do exactly the same.
Do not fail to do either. There are no known methods to abort the game.
At 3:33am, the Midnight Man will leave your home. After he has left, you may safely end the game.
Do NOT turn on any lights during the game.
Do NOT use a flashlight during the game.
Do NOT go to sleep during the game.
Do NOT use a lighter instead of a candle during the game.
Do NOT use a person’s blood other than your own during the game.
Do NOT attempt to leave your home during the game.
Do NOT attempt to provoke the Midnight Man during the game.
And most importantly: Do NOT assume that the Midnight Man has left your home for good at the conclusion of the game.